Graphic organizers combine text and visuals to define and describe ideas, classify knowledge, and demonstrate plans. They are used in teaching, presentations, brainstorming, and many other settings. In every situation, it may take different types of graphic organizers. Examples are bubble map graphic organizer, mind map graphic organizer, concept map graphic organizer, Venn diagram, etc.
Part 1: What's A Graphic Organizer?
A graphic organizer combines text and visual elements to represent relationships between ideas, concepts, and knowledge. It can deliver knowledge, assess acquired knowledge, plan, and brainstorm.
Advantages of Graphic Organizer
Graphic organizers are a great tool to discuss ideas, compare and contrast facts, brainstorm, analyze relationships, generate ideas, and organize knowledge. Graphic organizers can take different forms and shapes based on their intent and level of detail. Each form of graphic organizer provides many advantages, for example;
- 1. Different graphic organizers use various forms to organize information making it more understandable by breaking the concepts and ideas into smaller parts.
- 2. Mapping graphic organizers allow all participants to contribute to developing ideas and concepts—for example, concept maps, mind maps, and flowcharts record contributions in brainstorming sessions.
- 3. Visual cues increase retention of knowledge.
- 4. Graphic organizers also allow users to categorize data and items of information.
- 5. Increase interest of students in teaching sessions.
Part 2： 8 Types of Graphic Organizers
As we already discussed, different types of graphic organizers are used for various reasons, such as cause and effect graphic organizers, bubble map graphic organizer concept map graphic organizer etc.
1.Cause and effect graphic organizer
Cause and effect graphic organizers, also known as sequence of events diagrams, demonstrate the events and their effects on each other. These graphic organizers are widely used in brainstorming sessions and troubleshooting, where you need to know the causes of the event and its impact on the process.
Concept maps are an effective learning aid for visually intelligent students. They can retain information using concept maps because it gives them a better learning opportunity. Concept maps divide a concept into smaller parts and then show their relationships with each other.
3.Bubble map graphic organizer
Bubble maps are used for making presentations and data comparisons, while teachers also employ teachers to learn science and math concepts.
A Venn diagram graphic organizer uses circles to compare and contrast objects, events, concepts, or people. It is used in studying and identifying differences and similarities in math, linguistics, business, and product planning.
Flowcharts are the most widely used type of graphic organizer. It is a critical tool for identifying process steps, their chronological order, multiple paths based on decisions, and the start and end conditions of the process.
Timeline is another chronological-based graphic organizer widely used in project planning, tracking, and estimations. It also has applications in history, life studies, the evolution of companies and products, etc., where dates and years are essential.
Hierarchy charts can take many forms; however, organizational charts are the most popular. They show the reporting structure and chain of command in an organization. Other uses include communication patterns, grouping staff based on different parameters, grouping products, class and object hierarchy in object-oriented programming, etc.
Mind mapping is used for organizing thoughts and ideas in creative writing, idea generation, brainstorming, and product development. It is a technique to plan your work and streamline your thoughts before hitting the execution of tasks. The central idea or topic comes in the center, while the branches show the related concepts and information. A mind map is a functional graphic organizer because it works the same way our brains work.
- It uses associations, connections, and triggers to identify the relationships and sub-topic or ideas.
- Research shows that mind mapping improves memory retention by using imagery, color, and visual-spatial arrangement to help the mind connect ideas.
- The mind map graphic organizer is also very attractive and functional for people with a creative flair. They can use their talent to understand more typical concepts and keep them interesting.
- It makes collaboration and group tasks more organized and conflict-free.
Part 3：Is PDNob Mind Map a Good Graphic Organizer?
We have discussed the importance of mind map graphic organizers above, so how do you make mind maps that are easy to make, share and improve? Using a digital graphic organizer is the best way to create mind maps because of the ease and support they offer. We recommend PDNob Mind Map maker because of its unique features and ease of use. It is simple, organized, and free to use.
- 1.PDNob Mind Map maker has a predefined layout for structured mind maps, including Logic chart, Org chart, Fishbone, timeline, etc. So it is like a template you can fill in and refine as your project evolves.
- 2.Use the aesthetically pleasing themes provided in the software, along with the color and font customization, to brand your mind maps.
- 3.Add central nodes and child and sibling nodes with simple clicks and grow your mind map as the thoughts in your mind keep growing.
How to Use Graphic Organizer?
Creating a graphic organizer is a journey from planning to execution. In the planning part, it is essential to identify the main topic.
Then decide the type of graphic organizer and then also choose a digital graphic organizer maker. Every type of graphic organizer is used for a specific purpose. So after the identification of the intention of the graphic organizer, you must select the type of graphic organizer.
For example, a mind map and concept map are used for organizing and clarifying thought processes so creative writers and teachers can use them for writing exercises. At the same time, fishbone is used for cause-and-effect scenarios like troubleshooting—flowcharts for streamlining the process steps and so on.
Then choose a digital graphic organizer maker like PDNob for your project. Add the primary purpose, child, and sibling branches. You can keep updating, adding, and deleting the branches and relationships to evolve your graphic organizers.
Once the barebone structure is ready, you can add the themes, colors, and fonts to make your graphic organizers easy to comprehend and color-coded along with branding. You can also use numbers and codes in the group and organize your work.
Graphic organizers are used in various fields, including teaching, business planning, product development, human resource management, and many more. Using an online graphic organizer maker is an excellent medium for the growth of a mind map graphic organizer, fishbone organizer, bubble map graphic organizer, and concept map graphic organizer. PDNob Mind Map is simple, easy to use, and provides predefined layouts and themes.